June 7, 2012 at 9:00 am , by Sue Erneta
Recently, a team from LHJ traveled to Joshua Tree, California to shoot The Bronze Age, a story for our June issue. It’s such a spectacular place that we wanted to show you some behind-the-scenes shots. We hit the road before dawn so that we could get the morning light in Joshua Tree. The sun was just coming up as we arrived.
Our first shot was perfect. I don’t think I’ve ever seen light that beautiful.
Here’s a view of the whole crew. It takes a lot of people to make it all come together. There were three staffers from LHJ from the Fashion and Photo departments, the photographer plus his assistants and a digital tech to handle all the digital files, a hair stylist, a makeup artist, plus the location van driver! That black thing on a stand behind the photographer is a wind machine that gets controlled by the hair stylist. I bet you didn’t know they needed to be wind gurus, too!
The whole crew is there in case there are any last minute touch-ups. Here, makeup artist, Amy Chance adds a little body makeup to our model’s feet. (Buy the dress here.)
We always shoot more than we need and this back shot didn’t make the cut. (Lucky you! You get to see it here!)
Another outtake. Doesn’t she look like Raquel Welch in this one? You know, from that movie where she’s climbing around the rocks in that fur bikini? Except this time it’s a bikini and sweater from Banana Republic.
Hope you enjoyed the behind-the-scenes look at our shoot. Have you ever been to Joshua Tree? What did you think? Tell us!
June 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm , by Sue Erneta
There is certainly no better gift than something completely personalized. Whether it’s for yourself or a friend, we’re sure you could come up with so many ways to spend a $60 gift card to The Macbeth Collection. We love the idea of making their tool caddy into a nautical striped bin to corral your summer sunscreens. Or you could use it towards a treasure tray or a tub. No matter what item you chose, don’t forget you can personalize it with more than 400 patterns and a choice of fonts. How about picking your family name for a one of a kind treat?
You could be one of the lucky 10 winners of a $60 gift card to be used at TheMacbethCollection.com but you can’t win if you don’t enter!
To enter to win a $60 gift card to The Macbeth Collection, just leave a comment below!
May 29, 2012 at 10:34 am , by Sue Erneta
As a fashion editor, I get pitches everyday for products that donate a portion of the proceeds to a charity. And while this is generous, it’s often only a small percentage of the purchase price that actually makes it to the charity. That’s what makes Joan Hornig’s jewelry really special.
Every piece she makes gives 100% of the proceeds to a charity of your choice. You can choose from over 700 charities at joanhornig.com.
And her jewelry is beautiful. I especially love this brass cuff that was molded from alligator skin. (Check out this amazing outtake from our June 2012 beauty feature. Gorgeous model + Joshua Tree + BCBG dress + Joan Hornig bracelet = Perfection!)
You’ll find everything from fine jewelry that rings up at over $6000 for the true philanthropist, or silver charm necklaces under $100. I know it sounds cliche but there really is something for everyone…and every charity.
Happy (guilt-free) shopping!
Photo by Tom Corbett.
May 3, 2012 at 11:59 am , by Sue Erneta
It’s official. My toes have been released from the confines of winter. Now, I know that the weather has not been very warm in New York but once I wake my toes from their cold weather hibernation, there’s no putting them back. No more boots. No more tights. So, today I’m taking you shopping for some new summer sandals at one of my favorite shoe companies: Nine West. There’s simply not another brand on the planet that hits every shoe trend at such amazing prices. Here’s my hit list of the top 5 shoes to have this summer.
1. Something flat – We shot these gold beauties in Joshua Tree (you can see the story in our June issue on newsstands May 8th) and though I live in my gold Matt Bernson flat sandals every summer, I think I need to shake it up a bit and add these into the mix. Wewantit, $79.
2. Something floral – Like I said, when the toes come out, they stay out but a little peep might be enough. These would be fun with the pretty, blushy colored skirts and dresses we’ve been seeing this season. (I got this one from Zara.) Feelngood, $99.
3. Something nude – I get a new neutral platform sandal each spring because I wear them to death. By “wear them to death”, I mean there is literally no life in them at the end of the season. This summer, I’ll be picking up Nine West’s Hotlist in Light Natural Leather ($89) because they’re cute and not a bad substitute for the YSL Tribute that I’ve been coveting forEVER. (Um…$795? Not for something that me and the New York City streets are going to murder in 3 months time. Well, actually not for anything!)
4. Something bright – High heeled wedges are so comfy that they’re like slippers to me so I’ll definitely be picking up these bright orange (or should I get the yellow? No, the orange. No wait…) woven heeled wedges. Oh, they’re on sale! Maybe I’ll get both. Troischic, $59.
5. Something crazy – Oh boy, it’s that gorgeous Hotlist style that I loved in nude but this time it’s in…muticolored glitter! Could any outfit be sad with these babies on your feet? I don’t think I need to tell you that my 1st grade diva daughter nearly passed out when I brought these home. Hotlist glitter sandals, $69.
Say it with me…Free Those Toes! Free Those Toes! (And don’t forget your pedi! Zoya’s bright orange Paz is going to be my summer 2012 color.) Happy shopping!
All images from ninewest.com
May 1, 2012 at 10:56 am , by Sue Erneta
Last weekend, my parents stopped by for a visit. Somehow that always means that Sophia has a few crisp singles in her pocket so she asked if we could stop by The Children’s Place. She was ready to spend. Well, when we walked into the store, I wanted to open my wallet too. Cute fruit shaped purses! Neon hair clips! Flower-adorned headbands! Pink neon rimmed aviators! Ribbon-trimmed fedoras! Sophia and I were scurrying around the store like teenagers grabbing everything in sight. And when Lily asked her “Mimi” to buy her a sequin skirt like the one her sister had, I knew I had created not one monster, but two.
Of course, we had a fashion show back at the house to display our haul. But when Pablo got home, he was not as pleased. (It had nothing to do with what I spent. I mean, you can fill a bag with accessories at TCP, use a coupon, and barely need more than a 20 spot.)
For him, it was all just too much.
Granted, they did look a little crazy. But they had piled it on just for fun. You see, I’m working on teaching the girls that these fun pieces should be styled into their wardrobes of basics. It’s not about neon head-to-toe; it’s about a hint of it. (But try telling that to a 3 year old who wants to look like her big sister who wants to look like a Selena Gomez.)
He really shouldn’t be concerned though. On most days, they’re both heading to school in tunics, leggings and Vans. So, what’s the harm in owning a cute sequin skirt or hot pink sunglasses?
Yesterday he described Sophia’s going-to-the-supermarket look as “a 15 year old celebrity heading to a nightclub”. And this morning I swear he was doing an impression of my father when he said, “She’s NOT wearing that hat to school.”
(My dad used to disagree with my outfits back in my teenager years. He’d ask my mom if she had seen what I was wearing and mom would roll her eyes and say “Yes. I just bought that for her.”)
Well, thanks for backing me up, Mom. Someday my daughters will thank me too.
May 1, 2012 at 10:03 am , by Sue Erneta
There is no doubt that phone cases have become the newest accessory du jour! So, why not treat yourself to the adorable Lily Pulitzer iPhone case that was featured in our June issue? We absolutely love the sweet tropical print.
To enter to win a Lilly Pulitzer iPhone case, just leave a comment below!
April 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm , by Sue Erneta
There are so many great sales going on right now (click here for links to Loft and Ann Taylor‘s 40% friends and family sale! Through April 22nd only) but I figured I’d take you on a little shopping tour of my favorite place to score a deal: J Crew. Through tomorrow, you can use code MUSTHAVE to get an extra 30% off all final sale items so those are the prices I’ll be quoting. Check out these deals:
1. Peplum Fresco Floral Top – At a sale price of $140, it’s still not exactly cheap but if you consider that this ultra-stylish piece from J Crew’s coveted Collection line was originally $350, then I think it’s time for me to figure out how I can hide the credit card bill from my hubby.
3. Ruched halter tank swimsuit – Without a doubt, this is one of the most flattering bathing suit shapes. Halter neck + ruched tummy means I look like I actually stuck to my diet. And at $42, it’s a far cry from the original sticker price of $82.
4. Cafe capri pants in abstract leopard – Not for the faint of heart (or the thick of thighs!), these pants will be so cute in the summer with just a t-shirt and sandals. ($56, down from $148)
5. Merino boyfriend sweatshirt – For $35 (down from $89.50), you can have a jump on next fall’s wardrobe.
6. Taryn Gown in ivory – Need a wedding dress for under $200? Well, this one is $140 because – yes – J Crew has everything….
7. Leopard printed ipad case – I don’t have an ipad but if I did, this baby would be mine. (It’s been on sale forever. Why is it not selling out? It’s only $7!)
Happy sale shopping!