April 13, 2012 at 10:28 am , by Rachel Shippy
While Spring tends to be a mixed bag of sun, rain and allergies, it’s the beautiful flowers at this time of year that really kiss the dark days of winter good-bye. Here are some cheery ideas we found blooming on Pinterest this week…
For more pretty arrangements, petal over to our In Bloom pin board.
April 13, 2012 at 9:10 am , by Catherine LeFebvre
This will help convince you that humanity isn’t so bad.
April 11, 2012 at 9:14 am , by Ladies' Lounge
Music. I’ve got everything from The Civil Wars to Prince on my playlist. I’m a mood person; what I play depends on how I feel.
Alarm. My phone helps me wake up every morning.
ESPN App. I have to stay up-to-date on my Kansas State teams.
Travel App. Australian Wildlife. I downloaded it for my 16-hour plane ride to Australia recently. I thought, “Oh, I can study the wildlife on my way there!”
Who I Follow on Twitter. Three hundred and something people, including Octavia Spencer from The Help. Love her.
Favorite Photo. A crowd shot at a Kansas State University basketball game with Fizbo, the clown my character sometimes plays, in the middle. I went to KSU and somebody always takes that Fizbo head to the home games.
App for When I’m Bored. Real Drums. I’m a drummer so this lets me play drums with my fingers on the iPhone.
Most Surprising Contact. James Van Der Beek, from Dawson’s Creek. We met through mutual friends. It’s kind of funny to scroll through your contact list and see, “James So-and-So, James So-and-So,” and then, “James Van Der Beek.”
Game. I’m addicted to Amazing Breaker. Rico Rodriguez — he plays Manny on the show — likes it too. I’m 40 and I have the same apps as a 13-year-old.
April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm , by Gabrielle Porcaro
L.L. Shopping… Ladies Love Shopping! We also like a good bargains. I’ve been spending a lot of time scouring websites to find good deals on some spring pieces for myself, so I thought I’d put my shopping to good use and share my top 10 items to buy under $50.
1. V-Neck sweater from Gap, $44.95. I know we shouldn’t really be buying sweaters right now since it’s spring, but this sweater is awesome and it’s still chilly out so I think that justifies the purchase. It also feels like it’s a lot more expensive than $45.
3. Tropical print mini from Zara, $39.90. This skirt will no doubt get you in the mood for summer.
4. Striped tank from J.Crew, $29.50. Don’t fight it. You are going to buy another striped tank this season and you will love it and live in it.
5. Red cross-body Asos, $28.65. A classic bag. It’s just big enough to fit all your essentials: keys, money, phone and lip gloss.
6. Yellow flats from Old Navy, $19.94. Hallelujah for our feet—flats are in this season! Instead of grabbing a basic black pair, choose a fun bright color.
7. Floral dress from Forever 21, $22.80. I am fully aware that I am not in college any more and someone my age probably has no business shopping here. But it’s so cheap and they have really good dresses and tanks for spring! Plus shopping at Forever 21 allows me to pretend that I am in my early 20s again.
8. Pleated skirt from H&M, $49.50. This is one item I won’t be buying myself (my body just wasn’t made for pleats) but I fully support others buying it. Pleats are a big trend and so is this mint green color.
9. Tribute bracelet from Stella & Dot, $36. I love bracelets… duh! I like how simple yet blingy this is. It’s perfect to mix and match with everything from neon friendship bracelets to solid gold or silver bangles. And yes I picked this bracelet because it reminded me of The Hunger Games.
10. Lace tank from American Eagle, $39.50. I actually had to cut myself off from buying lace tops because I think I have 5 now. They are perfect with jeans, skirts, shorts, under blazers… basically everything.
OK so maybe you don’t like any of these. Or maybe you’re just going to buy them all because you think I have amazing taste. Or maybe you will find your own fabulous finds under $50—they do exist. Happy hunting!
April 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm , by Ladies' Lounge
Admit it. We all love seeing gorgeous stars get frumpy for a role. The most recent example: Eva Mendes, who plays a down-on-her-luck single mom in the new drama Girl in Progress. Will her hot-to-homely transformation boost her star power? It certainly didn’t hurt these A-listers.
Giuliana Rancic Talks Spring Fashion, Season Five of Giuliana and Bill, and Her Battle with Breast Cancer
April 6, 2012 at 10:06 am , by Lauren Cardarelli
The past year has been an emotional roller coaster for E! News anchor and Fashion Police co-host, Giuliana Rancic, who discovered she had breast cancer while undergoing IVF treatments in October. This week’s emotional premiere of the fifth season of Giuliana and Bill gave fans an inside look into her battle with cancer in the midst of fertility issues, red carpet events and the opening of a restaurant. We asked Giuliana about what’s coming up next on the show and what her life is like both on and off camera after her double mastectomy.
This year’s awards show season is wrapping up. What was your favorite moment?
When I “lei’d” George Clooney on the red carpet at the Screen Actors Guild. I actually presented George and his girlfriend Stacy Kiebler with leis to coincide with the Hawaiian setting from his movie, The Descendants. Now I can honestly say that I got to “lei” Clooney—just don’t tell Bill!!
We’d love to hear some Fashion Police advice now that the weather is warming up! What’s your favorite spring trend?
I love spring because it feels so fresh and new and the fashions reflect that! First, polished nails and toes are a must for open-toed sandals. I love sheer pink colors because they look clean and appropriate for work or play. As for clothes, I love the peplum look on skirts and dresses that we’ve been seeing on a lot of celebs including Victoria Beckham and Blake Lively. It’s fun, flirty and flattering on everyone.
The first episode of the new season of Giuliana and Bill was pretty emotional. Viewers got to see your initial shock following your diagnosis. Why did you choose to keep the cameras rolling during that time?
It was a hard decision because my health is personal and private, but Bill and I decided that if we were going to do the show, we needed to address my battle with breast cancer. If I can help one person get through a similar situation or encourage other young women to take control over their health, then it’s worth it. It’s definitely hard to relive everything as I watch the new season, but we have a lot of fun moments, too. Read more
April 5, 2012 at 4:02 pm , by Rachel Shippy
I can’t help but notice the growing popularity of neon happening lately and the electric hues are peppering Pinterest boards everywhere (including the Journal‘s!). That’s right, it’s not just for construction cones anymore, ladies! Whether it appears as a handbag, as nail polish or as jewelry, neon can freshen up any look, even in small doses. Check out some of my favorites highlighted here…
You can find more bright ideas on our ‘Neon‘ board.