February 12, 2013 at 11:24 am , by Gabrielle Porcaro
Yes, we know it’s still cold out but we are just so darn excited about spring! You might not be ready, whether physically or emotionally, to start shopping for spring clothing but why not get a head start on some accessories. Here are some must haves!
November 18, 2011 at 8:54 am , by Gabrielle Porcaro
I was recently introduced to Boticca.com and it was love at first sight. The London-based jewelry and accessory shopping site has been around for a little over a year. It’s a unique collection of pieces from designers from around the world who might otherwise not have this kind of exposure. The user-friendly site not only includes profiles of the designers but also allows you to interact with the designers and ask them questions about their pieces.
I was thrilled when they asked me to guest curate on the site and pick some of my favorite pieces. The beauty of Boticca is that it’s not just expensive items. All my favorites are under $200 with the majority of them being under $100. Please check out my picks and while you’re there, browse the whole site. Why not get a jump start on some holiday shopping? It’s the perfect place to find something different! As their tag line states: “I’d rather wear a unique story.”
February 8, 2011 at 5:58 pm , by Sonia Harmon
Looking to revamp your wardrobe? Take some style cues from our First Lady, who’s the subject of Kate Betts’ new book Everyday Icon: Michelle Obama and the Power of Style. “I think people have forgotten that style is powerful,” said Betts, a contributing editor at Time. “Everybody can relate to beautiful colors or the way she presents herself, and I think she’s used her style to really connect with people.” We talked to Betts about some of the staples of Michelle Obama’s wardrobe, and why they can work for you, too.
1. Don’t be afraid to wear bold colors. “Michelle Obama has made color an expression of power so it feels more attainable by someone who might be afraid of wearing bold colors. People really notice you if you’re wearing a beautiful pink dress or turquoise cardigan.”
2. Your shoes don’t have to be high-heeled and painful to be chic. “High heels have gotten crazy over the past few seasons. When Mrs. Obama wears flats it’s not only about the fact that flats are back in fashion, but also that she’s wearing shoes that she likes.”
3. Keep your style fresh by taking fashion risks. “The risk that people talked about the most was when she wore a cardigan to meet the Queen. A lot of people thought she should have worn a jacket or something more formal. I think that was a perfect example of her saying, ‘This is who I am and the way I dress, and this is the way I feel great about myself.’”
4. Find your signature accessory. “I love the fact that Mrs. Obama wears a lot of floral prints and bold jewelry. She’s made that her signature.”
5. Mix in budget-friendly finds. “When Mrs. Obama wore JCrew gloves to the inauguration, most people could relate. It was a way of connecting to people and making herself very accessible.”
June 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm , by Chelsea Rae Simmons
Love Heals launched its custom Design Studio so would-be designers like me (seriously, it’s crazy how much I spend on beads and chains), can design the perfect piece of jewelry without actually having to make it.
You can choose from a selection of charms, pendants and strands to create anything from a simple cord necklace (like this pretty number I made, at right) to a pair of lavish pearl chandelier earrings. After you submit and purchase your design, your jewelry is handcrafted by their California-based artisan team and sent to you in two weeks. The Design Studio is easy to navigate and use and it’s not too expensive: A custom piece of jewelry can cost you less than $100—my necklace clocks in at $90.
Another good reason to shop: Love Heals is committed to doing good. They use ethically-sourced materials for their jewelry and have planted more than 432,000 trees with GreenerEthiopia.org. And if that wasn’t great enough, here’s another huge shopping bonus: If you design a custom piece, you can buy it for 40 percent off with the promo code DESIGN40! Enter the code, which is good until June 30, at checkout.