March 5, 2014 at 8:00 am , by Bethany Cantor
If there’s one key piece for spring it’s the perfect jacket. While we opt for a trench at work and statement toppers for our nights out, most days we’re living in a military-inspired jacket like this one. It works as a neutral and plays nicely with dressy, sequin pieces and drapey tees alike. We couldn’t resist partnering this version with on-trend boyfriend jeans and bright heels.
February 26, 2014 at 8:00 am , by Bethany Cantor
We’ve noticed a new silhouette on the block when it comes to outerwear. The cocoon coat was all over fashion week and it’s slowing winding its way into our favorite fast-fashion stores as well. While the silhouette has been on the scene since Balenciaga debuted it in 1957, it’s recently been sidelined by body-hugging car coats and edgy moto jackets. We love the cocoon coat because it’s easy to wear. Plus, it exudes a downtown-cool-girl sense of style. The newest versions for spring come in candy-colored pinks, dusty rose, sky blue, and ivory hues. We’d pair this blue one with a white and black ensemble and some chic blush accessories.
September 20, 2013 at 8:00 am , by Bethany Cantor
From November through February, pretty much the only garment most people see you in is your coat. So, might we suggest giving people something to stare at? Statement coats are big this year and everything from bright color to unique fabrics to crazy prints is in. We’ve gathered up 10 incredible options to punch up your outerwear wardrobe.
Leopard Print Coat
October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm , by Sue Erneta
Everyone under 5′ 4″ knows that one of the hardest fashion items to get to fit right is a coat. Who wants their cuffs hanging down to their fingertips? And those thick wool sleeves are a nightmare to hem – even for a pro. With that, I bring you my top pics for petite coats – all available at jcrew.com (the best resource for unique styles and colors) and macys.com (my top pick for great prices):
1. J Crew double-cloth Bonbon coat – I’m absolutely obsessed with the cocoon shape of this beautiful wool coat. And the color options? Amazing! In addition to classic black or cream, there are four gorgeous colors including the warm taupe pictured here and a teal-y rainforest green.
2. J Crew double-cloth Colletta coat – The little feminine details at the waist of this coat are beautiful and those lovely tabs at the wrist would never work if you had to hem the sleeve. What a beauty!
3. J Crew stadium-cloth peacoat - We shot this classic in our August issue and petite’s can have it, too! Again, you gotta love the beautiful J Crew color range – it’s such a treat in special sizing. I love the fresh pear.
4. Calvin Klein peacoat - Looking for a peacoat at a better price? Try this one for only $129.98. You know I’d snatch it up in my beloved navy.
5. DKNY Danielle ruffled placket coat – Ruffles? Sign me up! I love a little femmy detail and ruffles like this are all over the outerwear market this season. Why shouldn’t petites get to wear the trends too? P.S. Bonus: It’s on sale!
6. London Fog double breasted trench – Okay…so it’s not quite a winter coat but a classic like this will last for-like-ever. And have you ever tried to buy one that’s not fitted for a petite? They’re all bulky and sloppy looking! But this one? Just right.
So, shop away my fellow shorties! And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter for all my style tips at twitter.com/lhjfashionlady.