March 1, 2010 at 4:24 pm , by cdewet
Unless you are a big movie buff, you might have forgotten that the Academy Awards are on this Sunday! I usually tune in just to watch the disastrous red carpet interviews and then call it a night, but last year my friend Lisa (our entertainment guru here at the mag) urged me to throw a small gathering for the event. It was an absolute blast! Why not host your own little shindig this year? Read on for Entertaining Expert Mark Addison’s great suggestions on how to host a red-carpet worthy Oscar party.
- Have a Polaroid camera set up near the entrance to snap attendees as they enter. Encourage guests to come dressed to impress for the “paparazzi.”
- Serve Best Picture-themed snacks and beverages such as:
- Pandora punch with blue Kool-Aid and a crazy straw.
- Popcorn out of a football helmet for The Blind Side with iced “Gator” Aid.
- Chocolate-covered dog biscuits for Up! (your furry friends can join in the fun too).
- Play a compilation of music from the soundtracks for the Best Picture nominees. During commercials, encourage guests to dance or play “Name That Movie” for each song.
February 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm , by Rachel Shippy
Throwing a birthday party for your pet might give some people pause (paws?), but I’m not one of them! That’s why I’ve taken the liberty of compiling a pet playlist — a “mix tape” celebrating our four-legged pals that can also double as the soundtrack to your pet’s next party!
1. Cat Scratch Fever: Ted Nugent
2. Who Let The Dogs Out: Baha Men
3. Three Little Birds: Bob Marley
4. Another Saturday Night: Cat Stevens
5. Puppy Love: Paul Anka
6. I’m Like A Bird: Nelly Furtado
7. Three Cool Cats: The Beatles
8. Hound Dog: Elvis Presley
9. Free Bird: Lynard Skynard
10. Honky Cat: Elton John
11. Beautiful: Snoop Dogg
12. Hummingbird: Wilco
13. Float On: Modest Mouse
14. Black Dog: Led Zeppelin
15. Free As A Bird: The Beatles
What would YOUR pets listen to?