October 12, 2010 at 10:36 am , by Gabrielle Porcaro
I can’t find skirts that are a work- (and over-15-year-old) appropriate length these days. Everything’s so short! Any suggestions? — Tara
Personally, my current shopping hunt has been for a short black skirt that’s not so tight. As a fashion editor, I can get away with short skirts but short and tight skirts are a little too Kelly Bundy for my taste. For those of you who are looking to be a bit more modest, here are some suggestions.
- Banana Republic is always a great store for skirts. I’m loving this stretch pencil skirt, it’s classic and falls just above the knee.
- Boden is the perfect resource if you are looking for colored and pattered skirts with ladylike lengths. This autumn printed skirt is fun and offers something a little different in your wardrobe.
- Every lady probably has several black skirts in their wardrobe so if you’re going to buy a new one, choose something a little different, like this Ann Taylor flounce skirt that flares at the bottom.
- Gap has a cute navy/red square print skirt. A full skirt should always be paired with something fitted on top.
- This pencil skirt with ribbon hem from LOFT is appropriate for work and flirty for night!
- Denim skirts are great transitional season pieces. J.Crew has a denim skirt that’s très chic and on sale.
- Talbot’s is another store with lots of options for appropriate-length skirts. This corduroy skirt not only has a good length but it also comes in petites and plus.
Hopefully you found this useful. I even found some shorter skirt options for myself so it’s win-win!
August 11, 2010 at 1:40 pm , by Sue Erneta
Have you gotten your September issue yet? If so, you may have seen our fall fashion feature: Portrait of a Lady. Yes, that’s right. Amidst a sea of micro minis, stripper heels and skin-tight jeans, rises a crop of beautiful classics that will make you look nothing but sophisticated. Here’s the breakdown of exactly what you need for the look:
3. Something leopard. It wouldn’t hurt to invest in the shift dress from Talbots that we shot—it’ll be a classic in your closet for years to come.
4. A retro coat. The putty-colored topper from French Connection that we featured is on my wish list for the season.
Then just add in some sleek turtlenecks, tight black pants and the blazer that you already have in your closet. And if you really want to push it, try a wool fedora, leather gloves and a croc bag and you’ve got your fall look. Happy Shopping!
(A few of the items mentioned aren’t available yet but they will be soon. Follow me on twitter at twitter.com/lhjfashionlady and I’ll let you know when they’re in.)
So, tell me…what are you buying for fall?