October 5, 2010 at 12:07 pm , by Sue Erneta
Everyone under 5′ 4″ knows that one of the hardest fashion items to get to fit right is a coat. Who wants their cuffs hanging down to their fingertips? And those thick wool sleeves are a nightmare to hem – even for a pro. With that, I bring you my top pics for petite coats – all available at jcrew.com (the best resource for unique styles and colors) and macys.com (my top pick for great prices):
1. J Crew double-cloth Bonbon coat – I’m absolutely obsessed with the cocoon shape of this beautiful wool coat. And the color options? Amazing! In addition to classic black or cream, there are four gorgeous colors including the warm taupe pictured here and a teal-y rainforest green.
2. J Crew double-cloth Colletta coat – The little feminine details at the waist of this coat are beautiful and those lovely tabs at the wrist would never work if you had to hem the sleeve. What a beauty!
3. J Crew stadium-cloth peacoat - We shot this classic in our August issue and petite’s can have it, too! Again, you gotta love the beautiful J Crew color range – it’s such a treat in special sizing. I love the fresh pear.
4. Calvin Klein peacoat - Looking for a peacoat at a better price? Try this one for only $129.98. You know I’d snatch it up in my beloved navy.
5. DKNY Danielle ruffled placket coat – Ruffles? Sign me up! I love a little femmy detail and ruffles like this are all over the outerwear market this season. Why shouldn’t petites get to wear the trends too? P.S. Bonus: It’s on sale!
6. London Fog double breasted trench – Okay…so it’s not quite a winter coat but a classic like this will last for-like-ever. And have you ever tried to buy one that’s not fitted for a petite? They’re all bulky and sloppy looking! But this one? Just right.
So, shop away my fellow shorties! And don’t forget to follow me on Twitter for all my style tips at twitter.com/lhjfashionlady.