April 9, 2014 at 8:00 am , by Bethany Cantor
Whether your warm spring weekends include a music festival, a stroll around a farmer’s market, or brunch with friends, these straight-from-the-runways, global-inspired pants are versatile enough to fit any occasion. Plus, you’re basically getting away with wearing pajamas in public–boom! Since the pants are the focus, keep your other pieces neutral and add a metallic sandal to finish the look.
March 26, 2014 at 8:00 am , by Bethany Cantor
You may be used to seeing chambray on just about everyone these days and for good reason! This comfy, do-it-all fabric is a fabulous layering piece. We’re beyond ready to pull our lighter versions out of the closet and pair them with this season’s full skirts for a feminine, classic look. If you’re feeling extra fashion forward, slip a short-sleeve sweatshirt over your chambray and let the collar, cuffs, and hem hang out for an oh-I-just-threw-this-awesomness-together look.
July 2, 2012 at 11:48 am , by Nykia Spradley
It’s officially sandal season, which means no more hiding. Yes, flats are still perfectly acceptable, but why not let your toes feel the warm air too? Even though cold weather wreaks havoc on our skin, summer slaps your feet with some harsh hits too. We’ve all had a cracked heel emergency at some point. Chicago-based dermatologist, Brooke Jackson, M.D. shared a few tips for getting your tootsies in tip-top shape.
Platform wedges don’t look so cute when you have dry, cracked heels. Use a pumice stone or gritty exfoliant once a week and apply a cream with AHA’s at night to keep them smooth. Jackson recommends CeraVe SA Renewing Lotion or Amlactin Plus.
Giving yourself a pedicure? Prevent ingrown toenails by cutting your nails straight across. Don’t try to cut or file the nail into the sides of your toe.
Apply sunscreen on the tops of your feet. “I see patients every summer who forget to put sunscreen on their feet and they get burned on the tops of their feet,” says Dr. Jackson. “Skin is skin and any skin which is exposed to the sun needs to be protected.”
Breaking in new sandals? Blisters and chafing are caused by rubbing and friction, so apply a product like Gold Bond Friction Defense to areas of the foot that feel friction before irritation as prevention. You can also use this on irritated and burning feet to treat and soothe skin.
May 3, 2012 at 11:59 am , by Sue Erneta
It’s official. My toes have been released from the confines of winter. Now, I know that the weather has not been very warm in New York but once I wake my toes from their cold weather hibernation, there’s no putting them back. No more boots. No more tights. So, today I’m taking you shopping for some new summer sandals at one of my favorite shoe companies: Nine West. There’s simply not another brand on the planet that hits every shoe trend at such amazing prices. Here’s my hit list of the top 5 shoes to have this summer.
1. Something flat – We shot these gold beauties in Joshua Tree (you can see the story in our June issue on newsstands May 8th) and though I live in my gold Matt Bernson flat sandals every summer, I think I need to shake it up a bit and add these into the mix. Wewantit, $79.
2. Something floral – Like I said, when the toes come out, they stay out but a little peep might be enough. These would be fun with the pretty, blushy colored skirts and dresses we’ve been seeing this season. (I got this one from Zara.) Feelngood, $99.
3. Something nude – I get a new neutral platform sandal each spring because I wear them to death. By “wear them to death”, I mean there is literally no life in them at the end of the season. This summer, I’ll be picking up Nine West’s Hotlist in Light Natural Leather ($89) because they’re cute and not a bad substitute for the YSL Tribute that I’ve been coveting forEVER. (Um…$795? Not for something that me and the New York City streets are going to murder in 3 months time. Well, actually not for anything!)
4. Something bright – High heeled wedges are so comfy that they’re like slippers to me so I’ll definitely be picking up these bright orange (or should I get the yellow? No, the orange. No wait…) woven heeled wedges. Oh, they’re on sale! Maybe I’ll get both. Troischic, $59.
5. Something crazy – Oh boy, it’s that gorgeous Hotlist style that I loved in nude but this time it’s in…muticolored glitter! Could any outfit be sad with these babies on your feet? I don’t think I need to tell you that my 1st grade diva daughter nearly passed out when I brought these home. Hotlist glitter sandals, $69.
Say it with me…Free Those Toes! Free Those Toes! (And don’t forget your pedi! Zoya’s bright orange Paz is going to be my summer 2012 color.) Happy shopping!
All images from ninewest.com