April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm , by Gabrielle Porcaro
L.L. Shopping… Ladies Love Shopping! We also like a good bargains. I’ve been spending a lot of time scouring websites to find good deals on some spring pieces for myself, so I thought I’d put my shopping to good use and share my top 10 items to buy under $50.
1. V-Neck sweater from Gap, $44.95. I know we shouldn’t really be buying sweaters right now since it’s spring, but this sweater is awesome and it’s still chilly out so I think that justifies the purchase. It also feels like it’s a lot more expensive than $45.
3. Tropical print mini from Zara, $39.90. This skirt will no doubt get you in the mood for summer.
4. Striped tank from J.Crew, $29.50. Don’t fight it. You are going to buy another striped tank this season and you will love it and live in it.
5. Red cross-body Asos, $28.65. A classic bag. It’s just big enough to fit all your essentials: keys, money, phone and lip gloss.
6. Yellow flats from Old Navy, $19.94. Hallelujah for our feet—flats are in this season! Instead of grabbing a basic black pair, choose a fun bright color.
7. Floral dress from Forever 21, $22.80. I am fully aware that I am not in college any more and someone my age probably has no business shopping here. But it’s so cheap and they have really good dresses and tanks for spring! Plus shopping at Forever 21 allows me to pretend that I am in my early 20s again.
8. Pleated skirt from H&M, $49.50. This is one item I won’t be buying myself (my body just wasn’t made for pleats) but I fully support others buying it. Pleats are a big trend and so is this mint green color.
9. Tribute bracelet from Stella & Dot, $36. I love bracelets… duh! I like how simple yet blingy this is. It’s perfect to mix and match with everything from neon friendship bracelets to solid gold or silver bangles. And yes I picked this bracelet because it reminded me of The Hunger Games.
10. Lace tank from American Eagle, $39.50. I actually had to cut myself off from buying lace tops because I think I have 5 now. They are perfect with jeans, skirts, shorts, under blazers… basically everything.
OK so maybe you don’t like any of these. Or maybe you’re just going to buy them all because you think I have amazing taste. Or maybe you will find your own fabulous finds under $50—they do exist. Happy hunting!
March 8, 2011 at 2:14 pm , by Sue Erneta
It’s that time of year: SPRING! I know I don’t feel too springy, yet. Do you? I mean, I’m still wearing a coat and scarf everyday and just two weeks ago, I finally got to see what my lawn looks like after a winter of snow. But believe it or not, warm weather clothes have been filling the stores since the first resort deliveries hit last December.
So, what am I going to get? I’ll start by looking at our March fashion feature and follow my own advice. (Have you see the story yet? No? We’re not just a website, ya know!? Check it out!) Some goodies from the story that I’m thinking about are:
The longer skirt — We showed Boden’s denim version but since I already O.D. on denim, I’m thinking I’ll go for a pretty print. I’m dying for this striped one from Tory Burch. It makes me want to take a vacation to Mexico! Sure, the longer length will be helpful in covering up my not-so-desirable knees but let’s not fool ourselves, this length is tough for a short girl like me. That’s why I’ll be wearing it with enormous platform heels. Yes, I know…what else is new?
The chambray jacket — There is nothing wrong with another blazer, especially when it’s this cute one from J Crew. Of course it’ll be great with white jeans and the cargo pants that became my uniform last summer but I think it’d be a tad much with blue jeans, dontcha think?
I think those two will be a good start. I’ll need to review last summer’s wardrobe before I start buying more stuff, of course. That’s the part that I skip most seasons and then I’m always mad that I bought something I didn’t need. But you’re smarter than me. You’ll do as I say, not as I do, right?
So, tell me…what are you eyeing for spring?
The photo, which originally appeared in the March 2011 issue of Ladies’ Home Journal, was shot by Colette de Barros.
February 24, 2011 at 11:37 am , by Sue Erneta
I need new jeans. Does that ever happen to you? All of a sudden none of your jeans are working for you anymore? Perhaps it has something to do with all the winter/stress weight I’ve gained, but we’ll just ignore that fact for now, ok? OK?!? Moving on…
I’ve decided to check out what the masters of denim have at the Gap. And sure enough, they have just what I’m looking for: a slightly-faded but not-too-distressed, kinda-baggy but not-too-boyfriendy, ready-to-roll-up pair of jeans. Love it. Granted — I should get my bum down to the store to try them on — and I will, but for now let’s just look at the website and dream that they’ll actually look like that on me. I should mention that like all denim brands, Gap is making a big push for the flare. You can find lots of them here. I think they’re adorable but not for someone who is 5’1″ like me.
While I’m shopping, I think I’ll snag this cute stripey top — one can never have too many stripes. And I’ll also be picking up this navy cardigan (not pictured) because if you know me, you know a navy cardigan is my best friend. Navy with all those browns and camels, you ask? Why yes, I think I will.
A little place I always visit on gap.com is the shoe section where sometimes you can pick up some web exclusive designer shoes like these killer wedges (Bonus: They’re on SALE!). And my new favorite place on the site is the GapMag, a brand-spankin’ new blog that features all kinds of cool insidery stuff. My favorite: the outfits spotted on fashionable Gap staffers at the Gapeteria.
And since the sun rises and sets with sale prices (at least in my opinion!), you can get 25 percent off your online purchase through Feb 26! Use code GAPSAVE25. Details here.
So, tell me…how do you like my spring-ready look? Have you picked up any new jeans lately?