August 8, 2013 at 3:49 pm , by Ladies' Lounge
What’s not to love about summer? There’s weekends spent at the beach, vacation time with the entire family and don’t get me started on all that BBQ food. But there’s one thing you can’t ignore: the elements. You may slather on sunscreen, but protecting your hair from the sun and heat is important too! Here are 5 summer hair essentials you need to stock up on for this summer and beyond.
Pantene Ultimate 10 BB Crème: I know you’ve heard of BB creams, but did you know they exist for hair now too? Pantene’s new version is the multitasking product we’ve all been waiting for. You can use the cream on either dry or wet hair (which I love) and you’ll repair, protect again damage, and get lots of shine, softness and frizz control.
Suave Dry Shampoo: You know how the computer changed civilization as we know it? Well, dry shampoo changed my life just as significantly. A little spray saves a hair style, extends a blowout, or eliminates the need to wash my hair every single day. You don’t have to spend a lot either. Suave’s version is great — and available in travel size too so you never have to go without.
Kerastase Nutritive Nectar Thermique Leave-In Conditioner: Using leave-in conditioners is a must when you spend the day at the pool or beach. Kerastase’s leave-in treatment nourishes dry hair while simultaneously adding back in smoothness and shine. Love it!
Redken Color Extend Sun After-Sun Mask: During the summer, consider using an after-sun mask once a week. Redken has a great one geared towards replenishing lost moisture and restoring your hair’s natural shine. To apply, just use a wide-tooth comb to spread the product in your hair and leave it in for about 10 minutes.
Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine Spray: I love using this shine spray because not only does it manage my frizz, but it also reflects light to give my hair a gorgeous gloss. Thanks to the argan oil foundation, your hair will be protected against the elements, including salt water.
Vera Sweeney, mom, blogger, social media influencer and New York resident, is the founder of LadyAndTheBlog.com. Her lifestyle and parenting brand helps busy women stay on top of the latest trends in fashion, food, family and travel. Vera is also the Co-Founder of the Fashion Forward Conference, a one-day blogging event for women who want to use style as a means to build a business, harness social media and connect with other women. Click here for more information on the September 11th event in NYC
August 13, 2012 at 5:26 pm , by Nykia Spradley
Whoever said that Mother Nature isn’t a powerful force was just crazy. Summer rain leads to major humidity…which leads to seriously sweaty roots…which leads to frequent shampoo sessions…which leads to dry, frizzy ends. It’s a vicious, never-ending cycle. Enter dry shampoo. The hair washing stand-in has the power to lift oil from the scalp, absorb dirt and product build-up, and leave hair looking and feeling fresh. Take that, Mother Nature.
Here’s the best way to dry-shampoo, courtesy of Ammon Carver, Artistic Director for Matrix:
1. Comb or brush through your hair to distribute oils evenly.
2. Start at the top of your head, create a center part and spray lightly along the part, holding the dry shampoo an inch or two from your head.
3. Make another part about a few inches away and repeat.
4. Continue creating parts and spraying on each side of the original part until you reach your ears on each side.
5. In the back, start at the crown of your head, create a horizontal part and spray. Continue parting and spraying to the bottom of your head.
6. Gently massage the powder into your scalp, as if you were lathering up your shampoo.
7. Wait a few minutes to allow the powder to absorb the excess oil and dirt.
8. Brush through to remove all of the powder. Flip your hair upside down and brush through once more.