February 14, 2011 at 9:30 am , by ekaufman
I love Valentine’s Day for several different reasons: lots of chocolate, pretty flowers and most importantly, love. But it’s not only meant for those in a relationship. A celebration is always in order, whether you’re staying in with your love or out on the town alongside friends. Today’s the day to spice up your hair and makeup routine and these videos help you achieve a flirty look.
If you have long hair like I do and are tired of limp locks, try a hair knot. It’s easy and elegant–and also helps to lengthen your neck. This video walks you through the steps to perfect the technique.
Soft, sexy waves look great on both short and long hair. And–surprise–you don’t need need a curling iron to get them. Use your flat iron for fresh take on curls.
My favorite part of getting ready is putting on makeup. Here, YouTube sensation Michelle Phan creates a playful look with pretty pinks. (I’ve personally gotten so many compliments on my makeup from emulating her style.)
Happy Valentine’s Day!
December 21, 2009 at 11:54 am , by Mandy Hendrix
I was recently at the launch of Phyto’s new hair styling products, which were tested by the uber-stylist Andy Lecompte. He’s worked with fabulous ladies as Madonna, Selma Hayek and Penelope Cruz, all of whomsport nearly perfect hair. The simple trick he taught me takes about five minutes and gives me full hair with controlled waves. Andy called it the new Brigitte Bardot—a style that looks appropriate for any occasion.
Five simple steps to Brigitte-worthy hair:
- On dry hair, use a small squirt of hair cream to coat strands. This helps calm static, frizz and hold the style. I like Neutrogena Triple Moisture Smooth Shine Anti Frizz Cream.
- Twist hair starting at the nape and pin with a duckbill clip. These ensure that you won’t have any dents in your hair–important when you want a smooth style.
- Blow dry hair completely until hair is warm to the touch. The heat is what sets waves and creates volume. Keep the clips in until hair is completely cool.
- Remove clips and fluff hair. You may want to spray with a light working hairspray. My favorite: L’Oreal Elnett.
- Create a small puff at the top of your head for extra volume. Use a small comb for backcombing (gently, please!) and hairspray to hold in place. Use a bobby pin or two to hold hair.
Photo courtesy lhj.com