10 Yoga Stretches While You Watch TV
Ready for Prime TimeSeated Bound Angle Pose
The objective of this pose is not to get your knees to the floor, but rather to extend your thighs so you can gain flexibility in the inner and the outer thighs, and the hips.
- Sit on the floor or on folded blankets next to the wall or couch.
- Extend your legs in front of you, bend your right knee, and bring your foot to the center of your body.
- Then bend your left knee, in the same fashion, and bring your left foot to meet your right foot, placing the soles of your feet together.
- If your knees are higher than your waist, add more blankets until your knees are at or below your waist.
- Lengthen your spine and lift your sternum (breastbone). To help straighten your spine, place your hands or fingertips on the floor beside you; if you are sitting on a prop, you may have to place your hands on books that are placed behind you.
- Keep your throat, neck, and shoulders relaxed as you lift your spine.
- Firmly press the soles of your feet together. This will automatically help extend your inner and outer thighs toward the knees and open your inner hip joints.
- Hold the pose for as long as you can, increasing the time as you progress.
- Sit on some folded blankets or against the couch.
- Stretch your legs out to the side. Flex your feet (point your toes toward the ceiling).
- Lengthen your back and lift your sternum.
- Keeping your back straight, bend slightly forward from the hip crease, which is the place where the front of the hip and your leg meet.
- Important note: Bend forward only to the degree you can keep your back straight. For most of us, this is not very far!
- Once you've gone as far as you can, hold the pose for 30 to 45 seconds, increasing the time as you progress.
- Intertwine your fingers between your toes.
- Flex your feet toward you and squeeze your hand around your foot.
- You can do one foot at a time or both at once.
- At a minimum, hold this pose for at least a minute.
- Stretch your arms straight overhead, palms facing each other.
- Lengthen your arms as though you are stretching all the way from the hips.
- Keeping your neck and shoulders relaxed, lift your sternum and keep reaching for the ceiling.
- Hold for 30 to 45 seconds, release, and repeat.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!