10 Stretches to Do at Work
Do-Anywhere MovesArm Stretch 1
- Bring your arms behind your back, clasping your hands. Or, hold a tie, sweater, or scarf (or something) between your hands.
- Lift your arms as high as you can. Lift your sternum.
- Hold for 30 to 45 seconds, relax for a moment, then repeat.
- Interlock your fingers and extend your arms outward, straight in front of your shoulders. Your palms should be facing outward.
- Slowly raise your hands overhead, stretching all the way from the waist.
- Work on straightening your elbows.
- Hold for 30 to 45 seconds, relax for a moment, and try again.
- Sit on the edge of your chair, sideways with your left side facing the chair back.
- Throughout the pose, keep your feet and knees together and even.
- Place your hands on the chair as shown.
- Inhale while straightening your spine. As you exhale, twist toward the back of the chair, twisting from the very bottom of your spine -- pushing with your left hand and pulling with your right hand.
- Repeat the inhalation/straighten, exhalation/twist series several times.
- Release and switch sides.
- Sit in the middle of your chair, sideways with your left side facing the chair back.
- Repeat the same routine as in Chair Twist 1.
- Do you feel the twist in the spine at a slightly different place?
- If you need to, place a book under your feet to keep them flat.
- Sit in your chair and widen your legs so they are wider than hip-distance apart.
- From the hip crease, bend forward and allow your entire body to relax. You can round your back. Drop your head and completely relax your neck.
- If you are not completely comfortable, try putting a rolled blanket or towel at the hip crease and lean over again.
- Hold this pose as long as you like, allowing each exhalation to relax your body and mind a little more. Sit up on an inhalation, pause for a few moments, and try again.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!