SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Don't melt under layers of heavy, dramatic makeup this summer. Get a simpler, sexier effect with these easy techniques for the natural look:
1. Start with perfect skin. Natural makeup looks best on clean, clear skin. Prep your freshly-washed face with a light moisturizer (with SPF), and give the lotion a few minutes to sink in.
2. Try bronzer. A powder formulation is easiest to apply and gives the most flawless look. Apply using a full brush with a rounded head and easy-to-maneuver handle, like Bobbi Brown's Face Brush. Choose a bronzer one shade darker than your natural skin tone.
3. Swirl color where the sun hits you. The key to great-looking bronzer is to apply only where the sun would naturally tan you: on tops of cheekbones, down the nose, across the forehead, and a bit on the chin.
4. Groom brows. Barely-there makeup should be framed with neatly-plucked and not-too-thin brows. Use sharp tweezers to remove hairs under your brows' natural arches.
5. Add some shimmer to eyes. Try a neutral taupe, warm bronze, or peach shadow with a bit of sparkle to it. Apply from lashes up to browbones.
6. Line lightly. Heavy liner on natural eyes looks out of place. Instead of liquid liner and dark colors, line with a reddish-brown or deep chocolate pencil liner. Smudge with a finger or cotton swab.
7. Try curling mascara. It will open up eyes and make them sparkle -- no scary lash curler required. Use brown mascara for the most natural look, or black for subtle drama.
8. Add a bit of color to cheeks. While your skin is already burnished from your bronzer, a pop of summery blush adds a glow. Choose a bright pink or coral powder blush. Apply lightly with a fluffy brush, being sure to blend.
9. Skip lipliner. It's too harsh for this soft summer look. Instead, choose a glossy or sheer lipstick in a peach, fudge, or copper shade. Apply directly from the tube.
10. For nighttime, go golden. This makeup works for daytime, but easily transitions into night. Simply dust a face powder infused with golden shimmer across lids and cheekbones for evening.