SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
Sick of leaving the salon less-than-thrilled about your hairstyle? These tips will help.
1. Sit up straight. Don't cross your legs when you sit in the stylist's chair -- it skews your posture, so your cut could be uneven once you stand up. Instead, sit up in the chair, legs uncrossed.
2. Collect pictures. The biggest hair disasters arise when your stylist doesn't understand what you want. Pictures will help convey your message.
3. But be realistic. You may love a cut on a magazine model, but if your hair is not the same texture or your face is not the same shape as hers, the cut won't look the same on you. Ask your stylist for variations appropriate to you.
4. Soften a square jawline with layers. Keep them long and choppy around the lower half of your face.
5. Use your hands. Instead of asking for an inch off the ends, use your hands to show your stylist where you'd like your hair to fall.
6. Color after you cut. Your haircut will affect the look of your color, so wait until you've trimmed to add highlights or try a new shade.
7. Go for length to slim a round face. A style on the longer side -- say, to your shoulders -- makes a full face look narrower.
8. Ask for styling advice. A cut only looks as good as how it's styled. As your stylist finishes your hair, ask detailed questions so you can repeat the process at home.
9. Update your products. You may need to upgrade your styling products to get the effect needed for your new cut.
10. Keep your options open. Sometimes, an unexpected urge to go short can leave you with a haircut you may not have tried otherwise, but that's perfect for you!