SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
If you suffer from oily skin, then follow these ten tips to get a healthier glow:
1. Use a gentle gel cleanser. A creamy face wash may leave a residue on your skin, prompting a greasy feel and oily look.
2. Wash twice a day -- no more. Too much washing can dry out your skin, causing it to produce even more oil.
3. Tone carefully. Look for a toner without alcohol, which can cause skin to become dry. Instead, choose a toner with witch hazel or other soothing ingredients, and use after every wash.
4. Don't skip sunscreen. Many women with oily skin forego face lotion. But everyone, no matter what her skin type, needs sunscreen. Use a gel SPF formula.
5. Avoid moisturizing makeup. Foundation for older skin is usually formulated to be moisturizing, which means it contains oils and humectants that your skin doesn't need. Instead, choose an oil-free foundation.
6. Use powder. A translucent powder applied after your foundation will help the base stay smudge-proof all day, and will help curb mid-day greasiness.
7. Blot away shine. Use a blotting paper, made especially to absorb oil without ruining makeup, during the day when you need to squelch shine. Don't cake on lots of powder, which can settle into fine lines and look heavy.
8. Try a mask. A clay-based mask, used once or twice a week, cleanses pores (which often become blocked on women with oily skin).
9. Go for powdered makeup. Eye shadow and blush in powder form will stay put on your oily skin longer than cream- or pencil-based products.
10. Rule out any skin conditions. If you notice your skin becoming more oily, flaky, or breaking out more often, see your dermatologist. He or she may diagnose you with a mild skin condition such as rosacea or seborrhea, which are easily treatable with prescription topical medications. --Lisa Kovalovich