Fill in your brackets, make your Final Four picks, and turn up your TV. March Madness is here, and it's awesome, baby!
Join in the Hoopla
This year, gather all your favorite fans and enjoy the tourney with a slam-dunk March Madness party. All it takes are some delicious nibbles, plenty of seating, and a crowd with a little bit of spirit. If you're rooting for the home team, deck your halls with school colors and let the cheering begin. If you've got a mixed crowd, break out the colored plates and napkins and let your guests declare their allegiance. Either way, we've got delicious recipes galore, both sweet and savory, which means no matter who wins, you'll make hoop dreams come true.
The Party Plan: Game-Time Snacks
Talk the Talk: Tournament Trivia
Talk the Talk
- The term March Madness is synonymous with the NCAA Basketball Tournament, but the nickname was first used to describe another basketball tournament: the annual Illinois High School Association tournament. Henry V. Porter coined the phrase in his 1939 article for the Illinois Interscholastic magazine.
- A number 16-seed team has never won a tournament game.
- 2008 marked the first time that all number 1 seeds (Kansas, Memphis, North Carolina, and UCLA) advanced to the Final Four.
- The odds of picking a perfect bracket are approximately 9 quintillion to 1. That's 9 billion times 1 billion.
- The last 10 men's tournaments have been won by 9 different schools. The University of Connecticut is the only team to win twice in the last decade.
Originally published on LHJ.com, March 2009.
© Copyright 2013 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.