We made a chocolate hazelnut cake for Giada De Laurentiis at our photo shoot -- and she asked us for the recipe. Here it is for everyone!
Work: 45 minutes
Total: 1 hour 50 minutes
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
1 1/2 cups canola oil
6 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa
1 1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
3 cups granulated sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa
3 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups confectioners' sugar
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 tsp instant espresso powder
1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three 9-inch round cake pans and dust with extra cocoa.
- In a large bowl whisk together water, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla; set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer stir together cocoa, instant espresso powder, sugar, flour, salt, and baking soda. Add wet ingredients and mix until combined, 2 minutes.
- Pour batter evenly between prepared pans. Tap baking pans on the counter to release air bubbles from batter. Bake until edges are slightly dry, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool in pans 15 minutes, then turn out and cool on wire rack.
- For frosting, melt 1/4 cup butter with 1 tablespoon of the cocoa. Cream remaining 1 cup butter in a bowl and add melted butter mixture and vanilla.
- Whisk together remaining cocoa powder and confectioners' sugar. Add to butter alternately with the cream until combined. Mix 1 cup frosting with chocolate hazelnut spread and set aside.
- Trim domed tops from cooled cakes. Fill each layer with hazelnut frosting. Frost the outside of the cake with remaining frosting.
Originally published in Ladies' Home Journal, April 2012.
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.