Celebrate the season by surrounding candles with multicolored popcorn kernels, candy, or mixed nuts.
What You Need:
A whole new way to "float" votives.
- Serving bowl or dish, at least 2 inches deep (see Tips below)
- 2 cups (or more, to fill dish) uncooked popcorn kernels, shelled peanuts, dried beans, or small hard candies
- 3 or more votive candles, or dripless low tapers
- Clear glass candleholders to fit candles (optional)
Choose elegant candle colors.
1. Fill dish with dried material. If you're using food items, have an extra bowl of the goodies nearby for snacking, so little hands won't be tempted to disturb the lighted display.
2. Press candles (or candleholders) into the dish until stable. Remove excess dried material as needed so that candle wicks are well above the level of the items in the bowl.
3. Light candles. Never leave burning candles unattended.
Brighten up candy corn mix.
- The shallower your dish, the more likely it is that you will need to use holders to keep your candles upright.
- Look for multicolored Indian-corn popcorn kernels at gourmet groceries or natural-foods stores.
- Buy unsalted nuts in bulk or on sale for this project.
© Copyright Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.