SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Make bound-in envelopes. Use purchased 9 x 12-inch envelopes, or make your own from art paper. Open up a purchased envelope and use it as a pattern. Glue hook-and-loop fastening-tape dots to the flap and envelope.
2. Make album pages. Cut the heavy art paper into 12 sheets measuring 9 x 14 inches. On each page, score 1 inch in from one short edge. To score paper, draw the crafts knife lightly across the surface of the paper, using the ruler as a guide. Fold the paper to the front along the scored line. To deckle the opposite short edge, hold the ruler firmly on the paper about 2 inches from the edge and carefully tear the paper along the ruler.
3. Make album covers. Cut two 9 x 24-1/2-inch rectangles from the handmade paper. Fold each piece in half to make a doubled 9 x 12-1/4-inch rectangle. Score each cover 1 inch from the cut edge to make the spine.
4. Assemble the front cover. To make a window for the front-cover photo, open out one cover and draw a 2-3/4 x 3-1/2-inch rectangle centered on the right side. Cut out the window with a crafts knife. Make a 1/4-inch slit in the fold for the ribbon, centering the slit. Thread a 24-inch piece of ribbon through the slit. Glue one end of the ribbon at the back edge of the front cover and leave the remaining end free, beyond the fold.
5. Mount photos. From the black and gold art papers, cut rectangles slightly larger than the family photo; the black rectangle should be larger than the window opening. Use spray adhesive to mount the photo on the gold paper and then attach the gold rectangle to the black one. Center the photo on the left half of the inside front cover over the ribbon, and secure it in the corners with small pieces of tape. Apply spray adhesive to the right inside front cover (the window side), then refold the cover along the fold line and press in place.
6. Assemble back cover. Open out the folded 9 x 12-1/4-inch rectangle and cut a slit in the fold at the center to match the slit on the front cover. Thread ribbon through, securing one end at the back edge with a dot of glue. Apply spray adhesive to one side of the inside back cover and press the two sides together.
7. Make leather spine wrap. Make a template for punching the holes from a 1 x 9-inch piece of heavy paper. Use the hole punch to make holes 1-1/2 inches from the top and bottom edges and 1/2 inch in from one long edge of the template. Attach the template to one long edge of the leather spine wrap and punch two holes; repeat for the opposite edge.
8. Attach template. Working with one page or envelope at a time, clip the template to the folded tab edge of each sheet of paper and the bottom of each envelope, and punch the holes.
9. Assemble album. Stack the back cover, pages, envelopes, and front cover, lining up the holes. Wrap the spine with the leather strip, aligning the holes. Using a crochet hook, pull an O ring through each hole, then push a rod through the O rings on the front and back of the album. The rod and O rings hold the book together and can be disassembled if you want to add more pages.