Names: Kenneth Robert, Alexis May, Natalie Sue, Kelsey Ann, Brandon James, Nathan Roy, and Joel Steven
Job: World's first septuplets
Born: November 19, 1997
Personal: Parents Bobbi and Kenny; big sister Mikayla.
Did You Know?
- Nathan and Alexis both suffer from forms of cerebral palsy. Nathan has spastic diplegia, a condition that causes rigidity in his legs. Doctors warned he would never walk or crawl. At age 2 1/2 he took his first short crawl. Today, with therapy, botox injections and orthopedic support, Nathan is becoming more and more mobile.
- Alexis suffers from hypotonic quadriplegia, which weakens her muscles. She is receiving care similar to Nathan's and is gaining strength. She and Nathan both attend a special school to receive therapy with the support of other special-needs children.
- The McCaugheys say that all the challenges that have come with raising eight children have strengthened their marriage.
- Now rambunctious 5-year-olds, the children's safety has become the family's top priority. Brandon is a climber and has even managed to scale the family's seven-foot backyard fence.
- Brandon and Joel have also figured out how to open their bedroom windows, and Joel was discovered one day hanging out the window on his stomach!
- Volunteers who once helped watch the babies around the clock are now only needed a few days a week.
- When the children were born, the McCaugheys received a custom-built house with seven bedrooms and five bathrooms.
- The children have been promised scholarships to three different colleges.
Told LHJ: "We have so much to be thankful for," Bobbi McCaughey says, her blue eyes welling with tears. "We're very blessed."
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.