Curls are hot right now, and these tips will keep yours looking great.
Want a fresh, sexy look? Wear your hair curly! Whether you've got ringlets or waves (or neither!), maximizing your hair's curl power is easy with these how-tos:
If your hair is wavy or curly...
If your hair is straight...
- Begin with sopping-wet hair (blot gently with a towel to remove drips, but don't rub).
- Apply a silicone hair serum to hair, concentrating on the ends. Start with a dime-size drop of serum and add more if you need it.
- Blot with a towel (again, don't rub).
- Next, apply a curl-enhancing mousse to hair, from roots to ends. Comb through with a wide-tooth comb to make sure mousse has coated all strands. Now gently shake your head so your natural curls begin to form. Wind your natural curls around a finger to help define them.
- If you have the time, allow hair to air dry completely. If not, blow dry hair with a diffuser attachment on your dryer. Don't touch or scrunch hair as you dry; instead, hold the diffuser underneath hair.
- Once hair is completely dry, gently run your hands over it -- not through it -- to break up any crunchiness left by the mousse. Finish by smoothing a drop of hair cream over any fuzzy or frizzy areas.
- Apply a texturizing balm to damp hair, and comb it through to make sure it's evenly distributed.
- Plug in a set of hot rollers to allow them time to heat up while you dry your hair.
- Next, flip your head over and blowdry the roots, using your fingers to tousle and scrunch your hair as you dry.
- When hair is fully dry, flip head back up.
- Separate a small section of hair (about two inches wide), and roll onto a roller. Hold the roller vertically as you wind your hair onto it; pin the roller at your scalp. Repeat all over your head. Give rollers about five minutes to cool down, then gently remove. You'll have very defined ringlets.
- Put a bit of hair cream into the palm of your hand, and smooth over the ringlets to break them up a bit. Finish with a mist of strong-hold hairspray.
© Copyright 2013 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.