Sneaky ways to cut calories every day that can help keep the pounds from creeping up.
Here's a weighty fact: Adults gain, on average, one and a half to two pounds a year.
James O. Hill, Ph.D., co-founder of the National Weight Loss Registry in Denver, suggests a prevention plan that's surprisingly manageable: Just eat 100 fewer calories a day (see our tips, below). Add exercise and you'll avoid piling on the pounds.
- Dunk chips in salsa, but pass on the cheese dip or guacamole
- Eat only half the bagel or switch to kiddie-size "minis"
- Eat the filling from a piece of pie and leave the crust
- Eat only the muffin top
- Use one capful of salad dressing rather than pouring it on, unmeasured
- Give four Hershey's Kisses you were going to eat to your hubby
- Choose a 12-ounce can of soda instead of a 20-ounce bottle
- Leave 10 French fries on your plate (from a small serving of thin-style fries, like McDonald?s)
- Remove four pieces of pepperoni from your slice of pizza
- Ditch the top piece of bread from your sandwich
© Copyright Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.