Precautions to take now in case a pink slip comes your way.
When He's the One Laid Off
Living with an out-of-work husband isn't easy. But here's how you can help:
- Be his best cheerleader. Criticism will only undermine your husband's self-confidence.
- Lend a hand. Offer to revise his resume, help him network with his contacts or yours or map out a game plan for the next few months.
- Connect often. Bonnie Eaker Weil, Ph.D., a couples counselor based in New York City, recommends taking 10 minutes a day to discuss what's on your minds. Ask him what he needs from you.
- Show your affection. Touching, kisses and words of love are especially important in times of crisis.
- Call in the pros. If your husband shows signs of depression, encourage him to see a therapist, either alone or with you.
© Copyright 2014 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.