Caramelized Onion-Bacon Dip
Yield: 2 cups Prep 40 mins Chill 30 mins Start to Finish 1 hr 50 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 strips thick-sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus sprigs for ganish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 15 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon; stir remaining bacon, the onion, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper into cream cheese mixture. Chill at least 30 minutes. (Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.) Sprinkle with reserved bacon and garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired. Makes 2 cups.
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!