Caramelized Onion-Bacon Dip
Onion dip is always a favorite but we added bacon to make it even better. Serve it with crackers, chips, or vegetables for a snack or appetizer.
Yield: 2 cups Prep 40 mins Chill 30 mins Start to Finish 1 hr 50 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 6 strips thick-sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, plus sprigs for ganish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until golden, about 15 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool slightly, then coarsely chop.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon; stir remaining bacon, the onion, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper into cream cheese mixture. Chill at least 30 minutes. (Can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.) Sprinkle with reserved bacon and garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired. Makes 2 cups.
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet