Individual Mac-and-Cheese with Horseradish Bread Crumbs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups hot whole milk
- 1/4 pound Cheddar, coarsely grated
- 1/4 pound Fontina cheese, coarsely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh nutmeg
- 3/4 pound tubular pasta such as tubetti or tubettini
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (about 3 slices firm white sandwich bread)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons drained prepared horseradish
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add onion, celery, and thyme; cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is golden, about 4 minutes. Add milk in a slow stream, whisking constantly, and cook until thickened and reduced to 1-1/2 cups, about 4 minutes. Remove pan from heat; whisk in cheeses and nutmeg. Salt and pepper to taste.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Stir in pasta and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain pasta and return to pot. Gently stir together pasta and cheese mixture; salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into eight 5- to 8-ounce ovenproof ceramic dishes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and arrange rack in middle of oven. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick skillet over moderate heat. Add bread crumbs and cook, stirring, until golden, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in horseradish. Sprinkle tops of macaroni and cheese with crumb mixture. Bake on a cookie sheet until hot and crumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)18,
- sat. fat(g)11,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!