Mini Puffs with Goat Cheese and Herbs
Yield: 2 dozen puffs Prep 35 mins Bake 375°F 20 mins to 25 mins
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, cut up
- Pinch salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 1 3 ounce package cream cheese with chives, softened
- 1 3 ounce log goat cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chipped fresh dill or basil
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Dill sprigs, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Grease a cookie sheet. Set aside. For pastry, bring the water, milk, butter, salt, and nutmeg to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring until butter melts. Remove from heat and stir in the flour with a wooden spoon. Add 2 of the eggs, 1 at a time, stirring vigorously with the spoon until a stiff batter is formed. Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tip.
2. Pipe twenty-four 1-inch puffs (or spoon batter with a rounded measuring teaspoon) 1 inch apart onto the prepared cookie sheet. Lightly beat the remaining egg and brush over tops of puffs. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. (Can be made ahead. Cover and freeze up to 2 weeks. Thaw at room temperature 30 minutes.) Slice puffs in half horizontally with a serrated knife. Remove any soft dough from centers.
3. For filling, beat the cream cheese, goat cheese, and milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the parsley, dill, and pepper and mix well. Pipe filling with a pastry bag, or spread a scant tablespoon mixture, in bottom half of each puff. Replace tops. (Can be made ahead. Cover and freeze in an airtight container up to 2 weeks. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven 10 minutes.) Garnish with dill, if desired. Makes 2 dozen puffs.
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!