Pepper, Olive Relish and Smoked Mozzarella Panini
The cheese in these vegetarian sandwiches provides lots of protein, making them a filling main dish for lunch or dinner.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pitted green olives
- 2 teaspoons fresh-grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 1 18 inch large Italian loaf, halved horizontally and cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 8 ounces smoked (or regular) mozzarella, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 roasted jarred red peppers, rinsed and drained
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
1. Toss olives with zest and oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Scoop out some of the inside from top half of bread and spread with olive mixture. Drizzle 1 teaspoon oil on each bottom half of bread then divide remaining ingredients evenly starting with mozzarella, peppers, and then basil. Top with remaining piece of bread and toast in a panini machine following manufacturer's instructions.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)29,
- sat. fat(g)12,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet