Shrimp Toasts with Soy Dipping Sauce
Yield: 48 appetizers Prep 35 mins Cook 1 min
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 large egg white
- 4 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 12 slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons minced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1. Coarsely chop the shrimp. Place the water chestnuts, egg white, sherry, 1 tablespoon green onion, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon ginger, salt, and chile oil in a food processor. Pulse, turning machine on and off, for 5 to 8 seconds or until mixture is finely chopped.
2. Cut each bread slice diagonally into 4 triangles. Spread triangles evenly on 1 side with a thin layer of shrimp mixture.
3. Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large deep skillet to 375 degree F. Add triangles, a few at a time, shrimp side down, to hot oil. Fry for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
4. For sauce, combine the soy sauce, sherry, 2 teaspoons onion, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Transfer toasts to a serving platter and serve with sauce. Makes 48 appetizers.
- Prepare as directed above. Cool, then cover and refrigerate overnight. To reheat, place on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven 10 minutes until hot.
- Fat, total(g)2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!