Warm Jalapeno-Crab Dip
For a heartier cheese dip, try adding fresh crab meat. Serve the dip as an appetizer with thick crusty bread or whole grain tortilla chips.
Yield: 2-1/4 cups Prep 20 mins Bake 400°F 20 mins Broil 6 mins to 8 mins Start to Finish 50 mins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 8 ounce container fresh lump crab meat, picked over, cartilage discarded
- 1 1/4 cups shredded sharp white cheddar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeds removed, finely chopped
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat and add garlic. Cook, stirring, until just fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in flour and slowly whisk in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in crab, 3/4 cup cheese and the juice. Reserve 2 tablespoons scallion and 1 tablespoon jalapeno; stir remaining scallion and jalapeno into crab mixture. Transfer to a 1-quart baking dish and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Broil 6 inches from heat until golden and bubbly, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved scallion and jalapeno. Serve warm. Makes 2-1/4 cups.
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet