Apple and Butternut Squash Risotto
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the squash and apples on a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Roast until very tender, tossing once, 25 to 30 min.
2. Meanwhile, heat broth with 21/2 cups water in a small covered saucepan and leave it on low heat.
3. In a medium saucepan add 1 tbsp olive oil and saute onions on medium-low heat until the onions are translucent but not browned, about 3 min.
4. Add rice and stir to coat the grains with oil. Add wine and cook until evaporated, 2 min. Add 11/2 cups broth to the rice plus 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Continue stirring until the broth is absorbed, about 5 min.
5. Continue to add broth, 11/2 cups at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 15 min total.
6. Remove from heat and add sage, squash and apples. Stir in Parmesan. Serves 6
- Butternut squash and apples lend a delicious sweetness to this classic dish. For more budget meal ideas, go to Recipe.com.; Butternut squash and apples lend a delicious sweetness to this classic dish.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Mark as Free Exchange()0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet