Bacon-and-Egg Breakfast Tarts
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 3/4 3 ounce shredded white cheddar or Gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 12 thick slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 6 fried eggs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out pastry into a rectangle about 12 by 15 inches. Trim edges (use a pizza wheel and a ruler to cut puff pastry). Cut rectangle into six equal rectangles, each about 5 by 6 inches. Using a small, sharp knife cut a line around each rectangle about 1/2 inch from the edge. Do not try to cut all the way through; you want to create a ridge when pastry is baked. Prick the area inside the line all over with a fork. Lay rectangles on baking sheet. Refrigerate while you prepare the toppings.
3. In a small bowl stir together shredded cheese and creme fraiche. Dollop a spoonful in the center of each pastry and spread it to the cut line. Roughly chop bacon and sprinkle over cheese. Bake until pastry is puffed, crisp and golden, about 20 min.
4. Top each tart with a fried egg. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chives. Serves 6
- Make these for a special brunch, especially if you want to impress your friends or in-laws.