Salted Caramel Bars
Yield: 36, 1-1/2-inch squares Prep 30 mins Start to Finish 1 hr
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- Caramel Topping (recipe below)
- Sea salt flakes
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-by-9-inch pan with a strip of foil or parchment, allowing edges to hang over opposite sides.
2. In a bowl, stir together the butter, sugar and salt. Whisk in egg yolk, then stir in flour. Transfer dough to pan and press the mixture evenly into the bottom, building up edges slightly. Prick dough all over with a fork, then freeze 5 to 7 min until firm. Bake until light brown, 25 to 30 min.
3. Prepare topping and pour evenly over shortbread; cool in pan at least 2 hr. Carefully lift bars from pan using parchment and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into squares and top with sea salt flakes. Makes 36, 1-1/2-inch squares.
- Fat, total(g)6,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Monosaturated fat(g)2,
- Polyunsaturated fat(g)0,
- Trans fatty acid(g)0,
- vit. A(IU)194,
- vit. C(mg)0,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6)(mg)0,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12)(µg)0,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a small, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, salt, sugar and heavy cream. Cook, stirring until sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil. Once mixture bubbles, stir constantly until thickened and caramel reaches 230 degrees F on a candy thermometer (6 to 12 min). Remove from heat and mix in vanilla extract. Pour on top of warm or cooled shortbread.