Triple Treat Creme de Menthe Bars
Yield: 6 dozen bars Prep 30 mins Chill 2 hrs 30 mins
- 2 cups graham-cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 large pasteurized egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 3 tablespoons creme de menthe liqueur
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (no substitutes)
- Red candy hearts (optional)
1. For crust, line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending edges over sides. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, nuts, coconut, the 1/2 cup sugar, the cocoa powder, 3/4 cup melted butter, egg, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl until well combined. Press into prepared pan. Chill until firm, 1 hour.
2. For Creme de Menthe Layer, beat together 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup melted butter, the creme de menthe, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Spread evenly over crust. Chill 30 minutes, until firm.
3. For Chocolate Layer, combine the chocolate and 1/2 cup butter in a small bowl. Spread evenly over the Creme de Menthe Layer. Refrigerate bars 1 hour or until chocolate sets. Lift bars out of pan. Peel off foil and cut into 1-inch squares. Decorate as desired. Makes 6 dozen bars.
Make Ahead Tip
- Store cookies in an airtight container in freezer up to 1 month.
- Fat, total(g)8,
- sat. fat(g)4,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!