BBQ Meatball Subs
- 1 pound fresh ground meatloaf mix
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 6 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 5 hero rolls, partially split lengthwise
- 8 ounces sliced cheddar
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions, homemade or French's
- Dill pickle slices
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine ground meat, onion, garlic, egg, mustard, breadcrumbs and salt. Form into 20 1 1/2-inch balls and place on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, 20 - 25 minutes. Transfer meatballs to a saucepan with barbecue sauce to keep warm.
2. Fill rolls with cheddar and heat in oven until melted, about 5 minutes. Top with meatballs and sauce, French-fried onions and pickles.