Chestnut-Sourdough Stuffing with Apricots, Roasted Mushrooms, and Smoked Bacon
- 10 cups 3/4-inch-cubed sourdough bread (about 1-1/4-lb loaf)
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- 1 10 ounce package white mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound sliced applewood-smoked bacon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large celery ribs, chopped (1-1/2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2-1/2 cups)
- 2 7.4ounce jars peeled roasted whole chestnuts, coarsely crumbled
- 1 cup dried apricots (5 oz.) sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups Turkey Stock
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree F and arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Divide bread between 2 baking sheets, spreading out in a single layer. Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden and crisp, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl, reserving 1 baking sheet.
2. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Toss together mushrooms and oil on reserved baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Add to bowl with bread.
3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over moderate heat, turning, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain, reserving fat and skillet; coarsely crumble bacon. Add three-quarters of bacon to bowl; reserve remaining bacon to garnish. Pour all but 1 tablespoon bacon fat into a heatproof cup and reserve.
4. Add butter, celery, and onion to reserved skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until tender, about 4 minutes. Add to bowl and reserve skillet. Add 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat and the chestnuts to skillet. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add to bowl along with apricots, herbs, and 1 cup stock; toss to combine. Let cool.
5. Set aside 8 cups stuffing for turkey. Transfer remaining stuffing to a 4-quart baking dish and drizzle with remaining 1 cup stock. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 425 degree F 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake until top is crisp and golden brown, about 15 minutes more. Garnish with reserved bacon and serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)9,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Yield: 5 cups Prep 5 mins Start to Finish 50 mins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Turkey neck and giblets reserved from turkey
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large celery rib, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried juniper berries
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and brown neck and giblets, turning occasionally until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients with 4 cups water and simmer briskly, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 5 cups, about 30 minutes.
2. Pour stock through a sieve into a saucepan and discard solids. Makes 5 cups.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!