Southwest Quinoa Pilaf
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14 ounce can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup peeled, diced jicama
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 min. Rinse and drain quinoa. Add quinoa and cumin to onion and garlic in Dutch oven. Cook and stir until quinoa is lightly browned, about 3 min.
2. Add broth and 1-1/4 cups water to quinoa mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until quinoa is tender and all liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 min.
3. In a separate bowl, combine beans, corn, tomato, jicama, scallions, jalapeno, lime juice and salt. Divide cooked quinoa among six plates and top with bean salsa; sprinkle with cilantro. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)5,
- sat. fat(g)1,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet