- 1 cup dried cannellini, great Northern, or Anasazi beans, or 2 15- to 16-ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 6 - 7 inches flour tortillas, such as whole wheat, red chile or spinach
1. Cover dried beans with 2 inches of cold water. Refrigerate overnight. (Or combine beans with water to cover by 2 inches in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans in colander. Return beans to saucepan and add cold water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes, until beans are tender.
2. Meanwhile, for corn salsa, heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat 2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil and the corn. Cook 3 minutes, until edges of corn brown. Stir in tomatoes-and-green-chilies mixture; cook 5 minutes, until mixture thickens slightly. Transfer to a bowl; stir in orange juice and cilantro. Set aside.
3. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel. Heat skillet over high heat 1 minute; add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, the mushrooms and cumin. Cook 2 to 4 minutes, until mushrooms soften. Add onion and salt; cook 5 minutes more, until onion is softened. Add beans and 1/3 cup water (or canned beans and 1/4 cup water) to skillet.
4. For each quesadilla, sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheese on 1 tortilla; spoon 3/4 cup bean mixture over top. Sprinkle beans with 1 more tablespoon cheese; top with another tortilla.
5. Heat and oil a grill pan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes. Grill quesadillas in batches 2 to 3 minutes per side, until dark grill marks are formed and cheese has melted. Serve with corn salsa. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)13,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!