Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- Quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound pre-cut beef round steak for stir-frying
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 8 ounce bag fresh broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup Stir-Fry Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 bunch (3 cups) watercress
- 1 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
1. Prepare brown rice according to package directions for 4 servings.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large, deep skillet or wok over high heat until almost smoking. Toss beef with 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch in medium bowl. Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until done, 1 to 2 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to clean bowl.
3. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add garlic, red pepper, and onion; cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Stir in broccoli and Stir-Fry Sauce. Dissolve remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch in chicken broth; add to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender, 5 minutes.
4. Return beef to skillet with watercress and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Serve with brown rice. Makes 4 servings.Stir-Fry Sauce::
5. Combine reduced-sodium soy sauce, dry sherry, grated fresh ginger, and sugar in jar with tight-fitting lid. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks. Shake before using.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)21,
- sat. fat(g)6,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!