Beef and Portobello Meat Loaf
This garlic and Italian seasoned meat loaf adds portobelo mushrooms for extra moisture and flavor.
- 4 ounces portobello mushroom caps
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
1. Heat oven to 350 degree F. With a knife or a teaspoon, gently scrape away the gills (the black portion underneath the caps) from mushroom caps.
2. Place mushrooms in a food processor with garlic, Italian seasoning, red pepper and salt and process until finely chopped but not pasty. Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl; combine with beef, bread crumbs, eggs, Worcestershire sauce and all but 2 tablespoons tomato paste. Gently press the mixture evenly into an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan, forming a rounded loaf. Spread remaining tomato paste over top. (Can be made ahead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.)
3. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour 10 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registered 180 degrees F. Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes, then carefully unmold onto a cutting board and slice. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)38,
- sat. fat(g)15,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet