Beef and Vegetable Bake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic,minced
- 6 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced 3/8 inch thick
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup steak sauce (such as A1)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 2 1/4 cups packaged biscuit mix
- 2/3 cup milk
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F. In a bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper; toss with beef until coated well. In a 6-quart Dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. In two batches, cook beef (adding 1 tbsp oil to second batch), turning, until browned, about 4 min. Transfer to a plate. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic to pot. Cook, stirring, until wilted, 8 min. Stir in beef, mushrooms, wine, broth, steak sauce and Italian seasoning. Cover; bake 50 min. Remove from oven.
2. About 20 min before serving, stir together biscuit mix and milk until just combined.
3. Increase oven to 400 degrees F. (To make individual servings, transfer beef mixture to pint-size casserole pans.) Drop biscuit batter in mounds over beef mixture. Bake, uncovered, until biscuits are lightly browned, 15 to 20 min. Serves 6.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)39,
- sat. fat(g)14,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!