Braised Short Ribs
- 3 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, well trimmed of fat and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle ribs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown ribs on all sides. Set ribs aside; discard drippings in pot. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onions, carrots and garlic; cook 10 minutes, until softened.
2. Return ribs to pot. Add broth, cherries, wine, thyme, bay leaf and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and cover pot. Transfer to oven and bake ribs 2 hours, or until very tender and meat falls off the bone.
3. Transfer ribs to a large, deep serving platter and cover. Skim fat; discard bay leaf and any bones that have fallen off. If sauce is too thin, bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes to reduce slightly (you should have about 2-1/2 cups). Whisk in mustard and horseradish. Pour sauce over ribs. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)14,
- sat. fat(g)5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet