California-Style Flank Steak
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds (1-1/2 lbs. each) flank or top-round steaks
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Grilled onions, optional
1. Chop garlic with 1 teaspoon salt on board; press with side of large knife to form a paste. Divide and rub paste on both sides of steaks.
2. For the spice rub, combine chili powder, five-spice powder, 2 teaspoons salt, sugar, pepper and ginger in a small bowl. Divide and pat onto both sides of steaks. Place steaks in a large resealable plastic storage bag and seal; marinate steaks in the refrigerator 2 hours.
3. Oil and heat grill. Grill steaks over medium-hot* heat, 9 minutes per side for medium-rare (145 degree F). Serve with grilled onions, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
- To test for medium-hot heat, you should be able to hold your hand over the coals at the height of the food for 3 seconds before you have to pull away.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)16,
- sat. fat(g)7,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet