Corned Beef and Cabbage
Kitchen Cue: Serve this hearty Corned Beef and Cabbage stew on St. Patrick's Day with a fresh loaf of Irish soda bread.
- 1 2 pound piece green cabbage, cut into sixths
- 1 1/4 pounds small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved
- 3 large carrots, cut into 2- by 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, each cut into sixths
- 1 cup beer (not dark)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 4 pound piece corned beef
- 1 cup grainy mustard
1. Stir together cabbage, potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, beer, herbs, spices, and 1-1/2 cups water in slow cooker. Rinse corned beef and pat dry; nestle corned beef in vegetable mixture and cook, covered, on low heat until very tender, about 6 hours.
2. Remove corned beef from pot and pull meat apart into big chunks. Spoon vegetables and broth into serving bowls. Top each with a piece of corned beef and serve with grainy mustard. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)42,
- sat. fat(g)14,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet