Grilled Steak and Shrimp Kebabs
- 3 ounces shallots, cut up (2/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup capers (from two 3-oz. jars), drained
- 1 2 ounce can flat anchovy fillets, drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 pounds boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 16 large white mushrooms
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 loaf focaccia bread, sliced
1. Soak 3 dozen 12-inch wooden skewers in water to cover 1 hour.
2. For the green sauce, chop shallots in food processor; transfer to small bowl and stir in vinegar. Process parsely, capers, anchovy fillets, 2 teaspoons thyme, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper, except oil, until finely chopped. Add to shallot mixture. Stir in the 2/3 cup oil.
3. Meanwhile, heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine potatoes, 1/2 teaspoon of the oil and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt in 13x9-inch baking pan. Cover with foil and bake 40 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with fork. Cool.
4. Heat grill. Loosely thread beef on 9 to 10 skewers. Loosely thread shrimp on 10 more skewers. Thread tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini slices on remaining skewers, using only one type of vegetable per skewer.
5. Combine remaining 1/3 cup oil, 1 teaspoon of the salt, the 1 teaspoon thyme and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Brush over beef, shrimp and vegetables.
6. Arrange potatoes around edge of barbecue. Grill mushrooms and zucchini over medium-hot* coals until browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Transfer to serving platter. Grill tomatoes just until charred, 1 to 2 minutes; add to platter. Grill shrimp 3 minutes per side or until firm and opaque. Grill beef 5 minutes per side for medium-rare (145 degrees F.). Transfer shrimp and beef to platter; cover and keep warm. Grill focaccia until lightly browned and crisped on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes. Place on serving platter with potatoes, grilled vegetables, beef and shrimp. Serve with Green Sauce. Makes 8 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Prepare Green Sauce. Let stand at room temperature up to 8 hours. Bake potatoes. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- To test for medium-hot heat, you should be able to hold your hand over the coals at the height of the food for 3 seconds before you have to pull away.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)37,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet