Homestyle Beef and Vegetable Stew
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds beef bottom round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 14 1/2ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 pound carrots, diced
- 2 medium turnips (about 12 ounces total), peeled and diced
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Chop garlic again with salt. Press with side of knife to form a paste; mix in pepper. Rub paste onto beef in a large bowl.
3. Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half the beef and cook 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on all sides. Transfer to another bowl. Repeat with remaining beef and 2 teaspoons more oil.
4. Add onions, celery and remaining 2 teaspoons oil to Dutch oven; cook 3 to 4 minutes, just until vegetables start to brown. Add wine, bay leaf and cinnamon and bring to a boil; boil 1 minute. Add beef and remaining ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil; cover and bake 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours, until beef is tender. Divide stew into 6 to 8 shallow serving bowls. Makes 7 to 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 7
- Fat, total(g)22,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!