Our Favorite Pot Roast with Gravy
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 4 1/2 - 5 pound beef round bottom round rump roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 14 1/2ounce can whole tomatoes in juice, drained and chopped
- 2 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Cooked egg noodles
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper on all sides of beef. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, 4 minutes per side. Transfer beef to large plate.
3. Add onions to Dutch oven and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, carrots, celery, parsnips, bay leaves, and thyme. Cook 5 to 8 minutes until vegetables soften. Add tomatoes and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 2 minutes. Add chicken broth; bring mixture to a boil. Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot.
4. Tightly cover top of Dutch oven with foil then with a lid. Bake roast for 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours, turning roast over every 45 minutes, until fork-tender.
5. Carefully transfer roast to large cutting board. Cover roast loosely with foil and keep warm.
6. Skim fat from vegetables and broth. Place a large strainer over a large bowl. Working in batches, strain vegetables and broth through a strainer, gently pressing vegetables with a large spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. Scrape vegetable puree from the underside of strainer into sauce. Repeat with remaining broth and vegetables.
7. Reheat sauce over low heat. Thinly slice meat. Arrange meat on a large serving plate. Spoon sauce over top. Sprinkle top of pot roast with parsley. Serve with egg noodles and peas. Makes 6 servings.
Make Ahead Tip
- Meat and gravy can be made up to 1 month ahead. Arrange pot roast and sauce in a microwave-proof container. Cover and freeze up to 1 month. Defrost in microwave 45 minutes. Transfer to Dutch oven. Place a sheet of foil directly on top of pot roast and sauce. Cover and reheat in a 325 degree F oven 1 hour. Serve as above.
- Reserve 1 pound of the cooked meat and 1-1/2 cups sauce for the Pasta with Ragu. Cover in separate containers and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)24,
- sat. fat(g)9,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!