Polenta with Beef Ragout
- 1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ounce can (14 oz.) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juice reserved
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut up
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 ounce can (14 oz.) fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. For the ragout, brown beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a medium bowl.
2. Cook onions and garlic in same skillet over medium heat until softened. Stir in juice from tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Add beef, tomatoes, bell pepper, zucchini, carrots, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, for the polenta,combine broth and enough water to equal 2-1/2 cups. Bring to a boil with salt in a 2-quart saucepan; gradually whisk in cornmeal. Cook, stirring, about 15 minutes or until thickened. Stir in milk and parsley; cook 5 minutes more. Divide polenta and ragout among four serving bowls. Makes 4 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 4
- Fat, total(g)7,
- sat. fat(g)3,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet