Prime Rib with Creamed Horseradish
Mustard and garlic coat the rib roast as it cooks. The flavored beef goes perfectly with the heavy cream and horseradish dip in this elegant dinner.
- 1 9 pound beef rib roast (about 4 ribs), meat cut from bone, meat and bone tied together with kitchen twine
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1 14 ounce can low-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons whole pink peppercorns, coarsely crushed, plus more for garnish
1. Place rib roast, fat side up, in a roasting pan and let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
2. Heat oven to 450 degrees F and place rack in center. Sprinkle roast with 2 teaspoons salt. Combine mustard and garlic; evenly spread over top of roast and season with black pepper.
3. Roast 20 minutes, then reduce temperature to 325 degrees F. Roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center by 2 inches (without touching bone) registers 125 degrees to 130 degrees F for medium-rare (loosely tenting with foil if top browns too quickly), about 2-1/2 hours. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil and let stand 15 minutes before carving. (Internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees.) Reserve pan and juices.
4. Meanwhile, for Creamed Horseradish, whisk cream in a medium bowl until thickened but not yet holding soft peaks, 1 to 2 minutes. Gently fold in horseradish and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt; season with black pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl; chill 30 minutes or up to 1 hour.
5. For pan sauce, pour pan juices into a fat separator; drain off fat. Add cognac and 1/2 cup broth to roasting pan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, scraping up any browned bits with a spoon. Simmer until liquid has almost evaporated, about 8 minutes. Add remaining broth, the pan juices and peppercorns; simmer 2 minutes more. Transfer to a gravy boat.
6. Cut twine from roast, remove bone and transfer meat to a cutting board; garnish with peppercorns, if desired. Serve sauce and Creamed Horseradish on the side.
- Servings Per Recipe 8
- Fat, total(g)35,
- sat. fat(g)16,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet