Red Flannel Corned Beef
- 1 2 - 2 1/2pound corned beef brisket
- 1 1/4 pounds red, yellow, and/or candy-stripe baby beets with tops (about 10 oz. after trimming)
- 1 pound fingerling potatoes or tiny new potatoes, halved or quartered
- 3 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or salad oil
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Trim excess fat from meat. Place meat in a 4-quart Dutch oven; add any juices and spices from package. Add enough water to cover meat. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until almost tender.
2. Meanwhile, trim tops of beets to 1/2 inch. Trim root ends. Add beets and potatoes to the corned beef mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes and beets are tender.
3. Transfer meat to a cutting board. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Arrange meat and cabbage side-by-side on a large serving platter. Using a slotted spoon, remove potatoes and beets, and arrange next to the cabbage. For the dressing, in a small saucepan combine red onion, vinegar, olive oil or salad oil, spicy brown mustard, and honey; bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Drizzle over all. Serve with any remaining dressing. Makes 6 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 6
- Fat, total(g)28,
- sat. fat(g)8,
- vit. C(mg)51,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!